Prairie Skies Library Board receives, discusses revamped facilities plan
At a recent meeting, the Prairie Skies Public Library District Board received and examined a revised facilities plan, with new space-planning and collection policies.
The Prairie Skies Public Library District's stated mission is to fulfill the reference, research and recreational needs of the community, especially young students. The board aims to use library funds economically and efficiently.
Below are the minutes from this meeting, as provided by the board.
Prairie Skies Public Library District
April 12, 2016
The regular meeting was called to order at 6:00pm by Mark Cochran.
Trustees Present: Mark Cochran, Dareea Paiva, Wendell Walch, Anna Stone, Angela Larakers
Trustees Absent: Lana Pfaffe
Staff Present: Kathleen Roegge, Director; Kelly Greene, Board Clerk; Patty Smith, Librarian
Visitors: Robin Krone
Regular Agenda Items: The agenda was approved as presented.
It was noted that Robin Krone was in attendance to be considered for the vacant Board of Trustees seat.
Approve Previous Minutes: Minutes from the regular meeting held March 8, 2016 were presented and
approved as presented by Anna Stone and seconded by Dareea Paiva.
Prepared and presented by Kelly Greene for March 2016.
Bills submitted for tonight were submitted totaling $9,807.07. Motion to pay bills by Stone, with a second
by Paiva. Ayes: Cochran, Paiva, Walch, Stone, Larakers Nay: 0 Absent: Pfaffe
Administrators Report: Roegge presented the report of Library Statistics for the prior month.
Roegge provided her report of activities at the branches, upcoming events, and staff attendance at workshops
in her absence.
• A facilities plan has been prepared and has been presented to the Trustees to review with changes
including space planning of public and staff spaces and collection reorganization.
• Several boxes of old books have been shipped to Better World Book to as part of a process to clear
out the collection of old books in each location.
• Roegge and Deb Gruen attended an Illinois Reads event in Brown County that highlighted Illinois
• Roegge will be participating in a committee to review the IPLAR report. This committee was
formed to recommend changes to the report and ways to improve it.
• Roegge updated the Trustees on recent programming and outreach events.
• A high school student from Pleasant Plains has been volunteering in the library.
• Buraski Builders will be contacted to perform an independent inspection on the roof in Ashland for
• A suggestion was made that we move the monthly board meeting date to Monday starting in the new
fiscal year. No action was taken at this time and will be re-discussed when the Board Calendar is
presented for approval in June.
• A discussion was held regarding the vacant board seat due to the death of Gloria Rhoads. Robin
Krone has expressed an interest in coming on the Board. Other names have also been mentioned
and will be asked to come and address the Board as well.
• A priority list of the facility plans for Ashland and Pleasant Plains has been developed and given to
the trustees to review. Estimates of costs will be obtained an shared with trustees as they are known
to allow for approval of individual projects.
• A rough estimate of the cost for Trustee Liability Insurance was received in the amount of $800.
More information will be forthcoming on this policy.
• Patty Smith has indicated that she no longer wishes to clean the facilities in addition to her librarian
duties. Trustees will review options at a future meeting for replacing this service.
Committees to Meet:
Budget/Finance - May 3, 5pm, Pleasant Plains
The next meeting will be held May 10, 2016 at 6:00pm, in Pleasant Plains, IL.
The meeting was adjourned.
Kelly S. Greene